Feb. 07, 2023
HARRISBURG – Chicken barbecues and sandwich sales aren’t enough, emphasized state Rep. Jim Rigby (R-Cambria/Somerset), himself a former emergency responder.
“We need to do all we can - and then some - to back our volunteer fire companies and emergency medical service (EMS) providers,” said Rigby, a former police chief and volunteer fireman. “That’s why the grant awards I’m announcing today are essential to maintaining public safety, and why the recipients should be recognized and commended for being proactive in applying for them.”
The Fire Company and Emergency Medical Services Grant Program (FCEMSGP) is administered annually by the Office of State Fire Commissioner (OSFC). The grants may be used for facility upgrades, equipment, debt reduction, training and certification, education and public outreach, and recruitment and retention efforts.
“Fire companies may also create savings accounts for new facility construction,” Rigby added.
The following fire companies and EMS providers in the 71st District, which Rigby represents, are being awarded grants:
• Adams Township Volunteer Fire Company Dunlo No. 1 - $13,826.29
• Adams Township Volunteer Fire Company St. Michael No. 2 - $15,000
• Ashville Volunteer Fire Company - $15,000
• East Hills Ambulance Association - $10,000
• Forest Hills Area Ambulance - $10,000
• Gallitzin Fire Company No. 1 - $15,000
• Loretto Volunteer Fire Company - $13,580.66
• Oakland Volunteer Fire Company - $15,000
• Portage Area Ambulance Association - $10,000
• Portage Volunteer Fire Company No. 1 - $28,273.86
• Reade Township Volunteer Fire Company - $12,352.51
• Richland Township Volunteer Fire Association - $15,000
• Riverside Ambulance - $10,000
• Riverside Volunteer Fire Department - $13,089.40
• Scalp Level Paint Borough Volunteer Fire Department - $27,273.86
• South Fork Volunteer Fire Company No.1 - $13,580.66
• Summerhill Township Volunteer Fire Company - $14,563.18
• Windber Fire Company - $25,000 (fire and EMS combined)
Questions about this or any state government issue should be directed to Rigby’s district office in Cresson at 814-886-1055.
Representative Jim Rigby
71st Legislative District
Pennsylvania House of Representatives
Media Contact: Scott B. Little
717.260.6137 (office), 717.497.5967 (cell)